CAB hopes for better advertisment of activities

Campus Activities Board held its first meeting of the semester, drawing in 20 students and going over the agenda of the fall 2010 semester.

The meeting began with the introduction of the new director of student activities, Malorie Cashel, and Craig Gullett, the new coordinator of student activities. The meeting then proceeded to cover the events of the last week included the All Campus Picnic, Fall Forward, Lion’s Roar and Survivor Night. The drive in movie was moved indoors due to the wind where CAB showed Iron Man 2 in Phelps theatre.

“I got a lot of positive feedback,” Cashel said. “I usually hear all sides of the equation and I heard all positives.”

Members of CAB stated they heard minor complaints of food choice, but no other complaints were made.

Upcoming events include next Tuesday’s Brazilian Independence Day celebration. Activities will include a student vs. faculty soccer game and the movie Blindness. Food will be provided and door prizes will include bookstore giftcards and Lion Bucks.

After looking over a survey taken last year, many students told CAB they wanted more family-oriented events.

“We want to try and get more families involved,” said Gullett. “We do have a large base of nontraditional students who are just as involved as [traditional students].”

They are also looking at increasing advertising. Last year they began Facebook and Twitter accounts. The Twitter account is at risk of being cut due to lack of activity. Another idea passed around is a texting service much like the RAVE system and making the CAB office more student friendly.

“That’s a big project for this year,” Cashel said. “Any type of ideas that you have for this office, please send it my way. We’ve got to go ahead and redo some of the stuff in here.”

The idea is to get new pictures into the office and make billboard and light board in the Lion’s Den more viewable for students.

“We’re trying to think of ways so that we can advertise student activities better through the CAB office,” Cashel said. “We’re trying to see what we can bring and we’re having officer elections next time so hopefully we can have a better idea.”

Other upcoming events will include a Glowgolf event on Sept. 12, a Monday Night Football party on Sept. 13, DVD bingo on Sept. 17 and the CAB Comedy Night on Sept. 20. It has been moved from its regular Thursday night setting due to scheduling conflicts.

CAB elections will be held at next week’s meeting, which will be at 2:30 on Sept. 8 in the CAB office.