Advice on arguments, entertainment

Katie Inman / Staff Writer

Dear Kate

Here is the second edition of “Dear Kate”, a student-run advice column.  If you need some advice, but don’t have anyone to talk to, summit your question or comment unanimously.  Contact me on Facebook or at The Chart Online or on Twitter at kateinman8. Also e-mail me at [email protected]

Tara Clark, Service Learning Coordinator writes,”In response to Joey’s question from last week about becoming active and volunteering in the community, I have additional information. The Service-Learning Program coordinates students who want to serve the community while enhancing their education and developing professionally. If you want an excellent opportunity to serve, I’m your go-to. Additionally, the MLK Day of Service will be on January 17 and is a great opportunity to serve with fellow students. We are looking for students to help with the coordination of this event.”

If you would like to help out, contact Tara Clark by calling 417-625-9668 or e-mail her at [email protected]

Krystal, Junior, Criminal Justice major asks, “I went home this past weekend and while I was there my mom and step-dad got into a huge argument. They were arguing how things weren’t getting done around the house.  My mom was in tears and with all of the arguing going on, it made my 6 year old sister cry too, which made me felt bad.  I wanted to step in and say something but I didn’t know what to say. It seems like that happens every time I go home; there is always an argument. I’m just tired of not being able to say something to help the situation. What do I do?”

I’d almost tell your dad to suck it up and shove it, but that’s just me. This does however remind me of my dad with a control ego.  My impression is that your step-dad feels that women are supposed to do all the housework: cleaning, cooking, folding laundry, etc.  It sounds like he thinks he is above that when he actually isn’t and should help out.  Now you mentioned to me prior to this that your mom works quite a bit and is tired when she gets home.  Everyone can relate with this! It just happens that things don’t get done because people are busy and so wrapped up in all the things happening in their lives.

I created a saying: if you don’t like it, clean it up!

Woody, Mass Communications major writes, “Dear Kate, I’m a new student at Southern and come from a bigger city. Is there anything exciting and unique to do around here?”

My question is that if you came from a bigger city, why are you here??? And if you were bored in that city, then what makes you think you might be entertained here!! I’m just kidding! It really depends on what you find exciting and unique.  There is the Joplin History Museum and the Art Walk in downtown that happens every third Thursday of the month.

As far as entertainment, there are plenty of shops along with a movie theater.  There are several hobby shops if you have a hobby or want to start one.  If you are a night owl/party animal, there are bars and dance halls everywhere! If you are cheap, there are plenty of opportunities to have fun on campus. In the end, you have to make your own fun!