Health Sciences Building officially open

Liv Fjell

University President Bruce Speck addresses a group attending Missouri Southern’s Health Sciences Building grand opening on Nov. 19.

“The latest and greatest.”

“A lot of new equipment.”

“They really like the new building.”

“She’s just grand.”

These are all comments made by students, faculty and administrators to The Chart this semester about the new Health Sciences Building and it’s features.

The building’s grand opening began at 10:30 a.m. on Nov. 19, with several dignitaries from the Four-State area in attendance.

Speakers at the opening spoke about Southern’s improved “wow factor” because  of the new features the building has to offer- internally and externally.

The Health Sciences Building opened up to students this semester, but it wasn’t considered “finished” until the past month. The building houses nursing, dental hygiene, emergency medical training, medical technology, radiologic technology and respiratory therapy. The building’s focus is on health care, but it also holds classes for kinesiology and psychology.

By having all these programs under the same roof, the students can benefit from another type of learning: interdisciplinary training.

The Student Center for Interdisciplinary Clinical Education lets students from multiple disciplines train together because, as Dean of the School of Technology Tia Strait says, that’s how it is in the real world.

Strait credits Former State Sen. Gary Nodler, past and present members of the Board of Governors, Missouri Speaker of the House/State Senator-elect Ron Richard, former Southern presidents Julio Leon and Terri Agee and current president Bruce Speck with reviving the Health Sciences Building plans.

“Leon saw the need [for it] educationally and medically,” said Southern’s Chairman of the Board of Governors Rod Anderson.

Nodler told attendees, “This building [has become] the state-of-the-art place for students to learn to meet the health care needs in our community.”

There are no immediate capital improvement plans on the horizon at Southern. Speck did mention the plan to bring a medical school to Southern is still in the works. Right now, Southern is just looking for a partner school. Speck likes aspects of the Health Sciences Building on the inside and outside.

“I look at the Health Sciences Building from my office window,” said Speck. “I can see how aesthetically pleasing it is on the outside, but I also know how well-designed and functional it is on the inside.

“All I can say is, ‘Wow.'”

While giving a tour of the building, Strait has to stop between the second and third floors to admire the view through the windows.

“Look at that view,” Strait said. “See why I say she’s just grand?”

In coming weeks, look for a few more articles detailing Southern’s Health Sciences Building and the departments within it.