Sour named ‘Outstanding Leader’

Luke Taylor / The Chart

Student Senate President Darrell Sour attends his final Senate meeting as president.

The Outstanding Leader Award was presented to Darrell Sour, senior marketing major, at the 20th annual Dolence Leadership/Service Recognition Assembly.

The ceremony was held on April 21 in Connor Ballroom and was hosted by Omicron Delta Kappa. ODK vice president Taylor Clements helped put together the ceremony and presented awards. He said the Dolence awards were named after Dr. Glenn Dolence, who retired from Southern in 1996.

“The Dolence Awards are for graduating leaders to be recognized for their outstanding service to the campus and local organizations,” he said. “It’s also to recognize a graduating leader of the year.” Sour’s qualifications include earning a position on the Dean’s Honor Roll five times, involvement in Kappa Sigma, College Democrats, and Students for Sensible Drug Policy and Student Senate.

Sour said he was happy to have won.

“It’s great that ODK and MSSU come together to do that every year,” Sour said. “It’s an outstanding way to award leadership on campus and show appreciation for people who try to better campus life. It’s a very positive spin on all of the efforts that students put in to make campus a better place to be, a better place to attend.”