St. Baldrick’s event tallies $3,400 for cancer research

Corey Reynolds / The Chart

A Missouri Southern student gets his head shaved March 17 during the Student Senate fundraiser in conjunction with the St. Baldrick’s Foundation. The event, held in Young Gymnasium at Southern, raised more than $3,400 to fund research into cures for cancer in children after students and staff members had their heads shaved.

On Thursday, March 17, the Missouri Southern State University Student Senate teamed with the St. Baldrick’s Foundation to fight and conquer cancer in children.

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long and healthy lives. Activities were held Young Gymnasium at Missouri Southern.  MSSU students and staff members shaved their heads in return for donations to assist the cause.

“It was, without a doubt, a huge success because of the Greek community,” said Malorie Cashel, student activities director. “The Greeks made up a large amount of the shaves. The sororities came to support the fraternities and helped with the cleanup and raising money. They really did an outstanding job with this event.”

The cause brought in 30 participants, one of which was a child. In the course of two hours, the event raised $850 for St. Baldrick’s Foundation. Cashel said this would raise the total amount Southern has raised for the organization to $3,477.

Cashel also said the number of students that turned out was higher than expected.

“Considering it was the Thursday before spring break and it was St. Patrick’s Day, it was really refreshing to see students come out and support the cause.”

Josh Fpiffler, manager of the Joplin Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill, had his own head shaved in order to raise awareness for the event, and an additional contribution from Applebee’s is expected.  

Community members are encouraged to make pledges online at www.stbaldricks.org/donate.