Equality Alliance offers acceptance for those with an alternate lifestyle

As the new semester starts, so will meetings of the campus Equality Alliance. “The Alliance is for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered and questioning community and their allies,” said Natalie Bruce, the Alliance adviser.  “This group is important for campus as a support network for students.”  

The first meeting is Thursday, Feb. 9, at 4 p.m. in Hearnes Hall, Rm. 208a.

A few years ago, the Alliance was a well known on campus, fighting against discrimination concerning sexual orientation.

Student Senate President Johnathan Saunders said, “I originally heard of the Alliance because there was a lot of discussion about policy changes. Recently they have been quiet.  I don’t know if that’s because they have become more of a support group or if there are not any issues that concern them right now. I know that the administration helped to accommodate the needs they expressed.”

Alliance member Caleb Hatz, sophomore psychology major, explained, “We changed from more of a political activist, in-your-face organization to a fun place to go where you are accepted for your views. In the future, we are hoping to expand and change people’s views about us. We live in the Bible Belt, so it’s hard, but I hope that changes in the future.”

Both Saunders and Bruce urge students who have any problems to express them.  

This organization almost single-handedly brought on a policy change from the Board of Governors that protects against harassment of any kind, including that against members of the LGBTQ community. Natalie also said that some students may still have problems, and that is why this organization is present. “I urge students that if they know of someone in this community in need of a support system or wants to see the organization grow, come to a meeting. The most important part of the group is fellowship and advocacy. This group networks with other LGBTQ organizations and the community as a whole to create a larger stronger network.”