Student investigated for domestic assault

A photo from Devin Smiths Facebook profile.

A photo from Devin Smith’s Facebook profile.

The Chart has learned that police reports involving Devin Smith have been filed in three different states.

Smith, a student-athlete at Missouri Southern and son of alumni and future National Football League Hall of Famer Rod Smith, has been investigated for separate theft and information crimes in Greeley, Colo., multiple traffic violations in Coral Springs, Fla., and, most recently, domestic assault in Joplin.

The alleged victim of the assault has relocated for safety.

Smith attended the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley and multiple high schools in the Coral Springs area.

Athletics Director Jared Bruggeman said he could not discuss Smith’s case in particular, but referenced the department’s student-athlete code of conduct policy, which he said has been in place for about three years.

He said if a student-athlete faces legal trouble beyond simple traffic violations, “what we do is we place them under investigative suspension. Which means they cannot practice nor compete until this committee meets and makes a ruling based on what we know at the time.”

According to a report filed by the Joplin Police Department, Smith is the suspect in a domestic assault that was reported at 1:54 a.m. on Sept. 6.

The report says a Joplin police officer was dispatched to Southern in reference to a past-tense domestic assault and that the suspect is not in custody.

“We get information by doing an interview with the student-athlete involved, also, we may talk to law enforcement, or the folks we need to,” Bruggeman said. “Once we get the background information, we have a code of conduct committee that meets. There’s three members of that committee; I’m one member of it, our faculty athletic rep is another member of it, and then the third member is appointed by the president, and in this case, it’s always a faculty member, appointed by the president. We review the information and, based on case precedence, over time, we kind of apply sanctions to any student-athlete that’s in violation. Once the sanctions are met, life goes on.”

Dean of Students Ron Mitchell says his office will also have its own investigation if it is deemed a student conduct issue. Mitchell said he is aware of the incident involving Smith, but would not say if an investigation was under way.