Career Services shows Southern students ‘how to get the job’

Career Services is hosting workshops and events ranging from free resume critiques to free lunch.

The Walk-In Resume Workshops focus on providing assistance in creating, writing or editing résumés. Printing a résumé, making copies of it and all services are free for this event.

“Résumés are an important aspect in applying to job,” Director of Career Services Nicole Brown said.

The Career Fair “How-To” Lunch Series will be held in the Ralph L. Gray Alumni Center.

It is open to all students.

The first portion, “How To Find The Job,”  begins Tuesday, Sept. 18, at noon.

It will focus on résumés, searching for a job, applying and how to follow up.

The second portion, “How To Get The Job,” will be held Wednesday, Sept. 19, at noon.

The second workshop goes over interview do’s and don’ts such as questions to ask and what to wear.

The final workshop in the series, “How To Get The Job and Be Promotable,” will be held on Thursday, Sept. 20, at noon.  It will focus on workplace culture, communication and getting along with others in the workplace.

The Career Fair Cram will be held in Billingsly Student Center Ballroom on Thursday, Sept. 20, from 5 to 7 p.m.

Volunteers from different area businesses will be hosting mock interviews, body language and handshake tips, résumé and cover letter critiques, email and phone etiquette and much more.

Dinner Etiquette and Networking 101 will be held Tuesday, Sept. 25, at 5 pm in the Alumni Center.

This casual event will provide students with effective tips for breaking awkward tension at a business dinner and teach students how to navigate business events while networking effectively.

A $10 RSVP charge is required by Friday Sept. 21st. Spots can be reserved directly through Career Services.

Appointments may be made by calling 417-625-9343 or emailing [email protected].