Student Senate approves two requests, denies one

This week Student Senate approved two of three discussed appropriations. Senators are also continuing discussion on capital improvement, public relations and event planning.

The Residence Hall Association requested $549.15 to fund two Residence Assistants’ travel to a leadership conference. The conference is going to be held out of state and the funds requested will pay for traveling expenses and conference fees. The senate unanimously voted to approve the appropriation for the full amount.

A spirit-oriented group made up of faculty and staff also requested $500. The group plans to use the funds to buy prizes to be given out to students and faculty every Friday for showing school spirit by wearing Southern gear. The senate denied the request on grounds that the group is not a registered student organization.

Phi Beta Lamda requested $1,000 to held fund a trip to send three students to a leadership conference in Denver. The senate approved the appropriation unanimously on grounds that the group sought out other methods of funding before coming to the senate and that it will be good PR for the University.

Capital improvement committee members reported that they are discussing ideas on how to improve the tunnel that runs underneath Newman road. One idea mentioned was to host a tunnel mural contest. No plans have been made official.

Events committee members discussed ideas of having a donation drive before holiday break and hosting an event on Veteran’s Day. No plans have been made official.

PR committee members discussed sending packets to each department on campus to spread the word about senate activities.