Tiring of hip-hop’s worn-out intrusions

Zech Wheeler, Campus Editor

Zech Wheeler, Campus Editor

Rap breaks in songs need to stop.

Now, I’m not a big fan of pop music. Anyone that knows me understands that pop music and I have a tentative relationship at best. But, I will admit that something catches my ear every now and then.

Case in point: my wife decided to show me Justin Timberlake’s new song “Suit and Tie.”

It’s catchy.

I can kinda dig it, to be honest.

Although, I was thrown for a loop about midway through the song. Jay-Z decided to come in with a break.

I like Jay-Z just fine, but as soon as I heard him start rapping I lost it.

It broke the flow of the song to such a point that I just couldn’t find it in myself to enjoy the rest. It wasn’t that the lyrics were off, or that Jay-Z’s flow was off. No. It was simply the fact that it was there.

I’ll clarify that I’m not one to segregate genres of music, and I don’t believe that you can’t have a rap break in a song, but it’s become such a trend at this point that it’s obnoxious.

When I’m listening to the radio with the wife and she has it tuned in on 92.5, it seems like every other song that comes on has to have an artist break in about midway through to rap.

I suppose I understand the phenomena to a point; getting two artists names on a track ensures that the song will reach a broader demographic.

However, I don’t think I could handle it if Pitbull or 2chains decided to jump on the mic one more damn time.  

It’s the Kanye West mentality: “I’mma let you finish, but I have words to say. Words that RHYME.”

I enjoy rap, believe it or not, and I’ve been known to spin a few tracks on the ol’ radio show (88.7 KXMS, Fridays at 1. Yes, this is a shameless plug. No, I don’t care) and I don’t really mind if a few contemporary songs have a rap break, but for God’s sake tone it down a little.