Women’s track preps for indoor chamionship

Willie Brown/The Chart

Junior Whitney Hardy competing in the 800-meter at the MSSU Lion Invite on Feb. 2.

Feb. 15 the women’s track team competed in the Central Missouri Classic at the University of Central Missouri and earned another win in Nebraska, their final meet before the MIAA Indoor Championships.

Senior Kaitlyn Belisle competed in Nebraska and won the 5k with a personal best and provisional time of 17.30.82.

“This season I’m just trying to stay focused and not let other outside things get in the way. It’s really hard to balance classes and running.

I just have to stay focused on the weekend meets, making it through the week and getting enough sleep, eating the right things and keeping my body hydrated. It gets to be really difficult, but balancing has always been the major thing,” Belisle said.

At the Central Missouri Classic, Kylie Cornman earned first place in the shot put with a provisional distance of 46-5.25, while earning seventh in the weight throw.

Freshman Brittani Reagan won the long jump with a provisional distance of 18-2.25 followed by freshman Kaylee Morgan and sophomore Taitum Mead placed second and third.  Senior JeAnna Sheppard placed third in the 60-meter hurdles while Mead placed fifth. Freshman Addie Mengwasser won the mile with a time of 5:24.73, while Jasmin Hughes, a junior sprinter placed second in the 60-meter dash. Amber White, won the 400-meter with a time of 59.75, while junior Sydney Potts earned a first place in the 600 yard with a time of 1:28.52. Reagan won the triple jump with a provisional distance of 39.2.25, White followed in second place.

Junior jumper Whitney Hardy earned provisional with a first place height of 5-5.75 in the high jump, while  sophomore Shelby Sutherland followed in second place.

Sydney Haase, junior won the pole vault with a provisional height of 12-4 followed by sophomore Melanie Bower and sophomore Ashleigh McFarland in second and fourth, respectively.

“I think we’re as ready as we’re going to be, we just have to get ourselves mentally prepared to have a two day meet and a lot of hype, a lot of importance, and a lot of stress goes into that. But, I think we’re ready. I know we’ll give one hundred percent effort and see how that falls with conference,” Head Coach Patty Vavra said.

Next weekend the lions will be attending the 2013 MIAA Indoor Track and Field Championships at UCM.