Lions earn No. 3 spot in conference meet

Willie Brown/The Chart

Sophomore Jeff Fraley and freshman Erron Holley push toward the finish line in the 60-meter dash at the MSSU Lion Invite on Feb. 2.

With six All-MIAA performances, the mens track team took home third place Feb. 24 at the 2013 MIAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Warrensburg.

“The team did what they were supposed to,” Head Coach Tom Rutledge said. “We didn’t go there for third place, we went there to win.

“But that’s how it goes. They did everything they possibly could and I’m proud of them.”

Sprinter Jeff Fraley is among those with All-MIAA honors for his performance in the 200-meter, finishing first with a time of 21.73 as well as his second place performance in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.83.

Jumper Jayce Thomas earned third place in the heptathlon after a second place finish in the pole vault, a third place finish in the 60-meter hurdles, a fourth place distance in the long jump and a win in the high jump.

Seth Hackney competed in the shot put, earning All-MIAA honors with a second place distance of 54-11.50.

Dustin Green and Evan Moore followed in fifth and sixth place, respectively.

With a height of 6-10.75, jumper Clark Tanksley earned All-MIAA honors with a second place performance in the high jump.  

Jumper Darion Boure placed third and earned All-MIAA honors in the triple jump.

Pole Vaulter Michael Juergens earned All-MIAA honors after placing second in the pole vault with a height of 16-03.25, while John Lowe was sixth with a height of 15-07.25.

“It’s my fifth year, I feel the need to go around and give everybody little pep talks before and after their events,” Lowe said.  

“I tell them this is it, today’s the day and it’s now or never, just little things like that. It may sound cheesy, but I feel like it helps them.”

All six MIAA performers qualified for nationals. The group will be attending Nationals in Birmingham, Ala. March 8.