Women’s track puts everything on the line

Sophomore sprinter Emily Weldin finishes third in the 400m at the Lion invite.

At the last away meet of the season, the women’s track and field team earned four provisionals and six wins while attending the Dewey Allgood Invitational, Saturday at Missouri S&T.

Junior thrower Kylie Cornman took home the title with a provisional distance of 47-01.00. Cornman also placed sixth in the hammer and seventh in the discus.

Whitney Hardy, junior jumper won the high jump with a provisional height of 5-07.75. Sophomore Shelby Sutherland and freshman Taylor Alumbaugh placed third and fifth in the event followed by freshman Miriah Johnson in eighth place.

“We’re getting ready to put everything on the line,” Head Coach Patty Vavra said.

“We’re struggling a little bit with injury and sickness. But, we’re going to give it everything we have.”

Junior sprinter Jasmin Hughes placed third in the 100-meter dash with a time of 12.65. Hughes also placed fourth in the 200-meter followed by freshman Kaylee Morgan in seventh. Sophomore Emily Paullus earned fourth place in the 400-meter hurdles, while junior Sydney Potts earned fourth in the 800-meter.

Addie Mengwasser, a freshman distance runner, placed second in the 1500-meter with a time of 5:00.55.

Southern’s 4×100-meter relay team took home the title with a time of 48.79 and the 4×400-meter team placed fourth.

With a time of 10:46.89, sophomore Lauren Baehr won the 3k. Senior Marlee Tegenkamp followed just two seconds behind for a second place finish.

“Track is one of the easiest sports to see your goals cause it’s measured at the end of everything. So, you see how different you did from the time before,” sophomore sprinter Sagan Graskemper said.

“Seeing a time at the end of every race or seeing a distance at the end of every jump or throw helps motivate you.”

Freshman jumper Brittani Reagan earned a provisional distance of 18-04.50 to win the long jump.

Morgan, sophomore Shelby Newell and Paullus followed in third, fifth and seventh, respectively. Reagan also earned a provisional for her second place finish in the triple jump with a distance of 40-04.00.

Melanie Bower, sophomore pole vaulter won the pole vault with a provisional height of 12-03.50. Sophomore Ashleigh McFarland followed in second with a height of 11-09.25.