Lions host UCM for annual Pink Game

Willie Brown/The Chart

Freshman Alana Hester reaches back to first base after trying to steal against Central Missouri during the Border Battle on March 9.

The Missouri Southern Lions split another double header on Friday against the Lincoln University Blue Tigers. The Lions fell 4-3 in game one then took game two 5-0.

In game one the Blue Tigers took the lead in the second inning scoring two runs.

The game was stagnant until junior Brooklyn Farrell singled to center field, bringing Rachel Harding across the plate.

The Blue Tigers responded by scoring another run the next inning, but the Lions tied the game in the bottom of the sixth will a single home run to left field by junior Chloe Brown and an RBI by junior Shelby Romines for freshman Alana Hester to score.

The game was tied until the top of the eighth when Lincoln scored just one run. Without any runs by the Lions in the bottom of the right, the Blue Tigers took game one 4-3.

“We keep splitting a lot, but we are going to go out strong this weekend and get all four,” said Brown. “We are a solid team even though we are a young team. We have been getting good, timely hits throughout the lineup and we have really been playing as a team lately.”

In game two, Romines brought Hester across the plate once again, giving the Lions a 1-0 lead. The Lions gained four more runs in the bottom of the fifth as junior Brooke Smith, freshman Haley Pypes, Farrell and freshman Michala Wood scored with RBIs from Farrell, Wood and Brown.

With solid pitching from freshman Sarah Williams, the Blue Tigers couldn’t score a run all game. Williams faced 29 batters, threw 59 strikes out of 97 pitches.

The Lions only have four games left until the MIAA Post-Season Tournament and all games are home games. With home field advantage and the Missouri Southern crowd, the softball team looks to go into the tournament on a winning streak.

Sunday’s game is scheduled to be the Lion’s Pink Game. Autographed photos of the team in their pink jerseys will be for sale for $5 to benefit the Hope 4 You Breast Cancer Foundation.