Southern welcomes new students

Incoming students meet with academic advisors, get an overview of student support services and get assistance with financial. While that might be the boring part for most of the incoming students, the part that leaves the lasting impression is when the incoming students meet and interact with other incoming students along with current students.

“I remember at Southern Welcome, I heard two people talking about how they were from St. Louis, so I joined the conversation and it turned out they lived right by me,” said junior marketing major Jake Follen. “And now we are actually really good friends.”

As a part of the Southern Welcome Orientation, the incoming freshmen are divided into groups where they get to meet with current students and Southern Welcome Leaders.

“My favorite part of the Southern Welcome program has been the staff,” said senior Southern Welcome Leader Rachel Magness. “I have met some amazing people. I get to have so much fun while letting new freshman know how great Missouri Southern is.”

Southern Welcome Orientations will begin on Tuesday and Wednesday and continue on throughout the summer to make sure all incoming freshmen are comfortable and familiar with the place they will call home for the next four years.