Softball team splits last three double headers on the road

Willie Brown/The Chart

Sophomore Brooke Swadley bats at the Border Battle against Central Missouri on March 9.

In the past three double headers, the softball team has lost the first game but come back to win the second.

“After losing the first game, we realize that walking out of a double header with a split is better than being swept,” said freshman Alana Hester. “So we come out with more enthusiasm and energy to take the second game.”

On Friday, the Lions traveled to Fort Hays State to take on the Tigers. They fell to Fort Hays State 5-0 in the first game,

The Lions brought that extra energy to the second game as they took the lead in the first three innings with 4 runs. Grass went 4-for-4 in the second game with two RBIs.

On Saturday the Lions split another double header against Nebraska-Kearney. The Lions couldn’t come away with the first win, losing 3-1 in the first game, but changed their ways in the second game as they scored five runs in the fourth inning as freshman Michala Wood, junior Chloe Brown and  junior Brooke Swadley would earn RBIs.

At the top of the sixth, the Lions added another four runs to their lead to defeat the Lopers 11-1.

The Lions traveled to Pitt State on Tuesday night for another double header. They lost the first game 5-1.

At the top of the sixth the Lions scored seven runs, as freshman Haley Pypes. Hester’s RBI bought three players across the plate.

Later in the top of the eighth, sophomore red shirt Kathryn Goins doubled to left center, bringing three players

The Lions defeated Pitt State 11-8 in eight innings.