FEMA funding storm shelter design on campus

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has awarded Missouri Southern State University $64,500 to fund 75 percent of the design phase of a safe room to be built on campus. The remaining funds to meet the estimated $86,000 design budget will come from the institution’s reserve funds.

“We’re very excited about receiving this grant,” said Jeff Gibson, director of budgeting and operations. “This will allow us to construct a safe room to protect approximately 2,000 students and staff in the case of severe weather such as a tornado.”

The university is working in conjunction with award winning design firm Bates and Associates of Springfield, Mo. to complete the FEMA 361 approved safe room design.

FEMA will then review the design and, once it is approved, will grant an additional $1.2 million in funding for the construction of the safe room. The University will again have to meet the 25 percent matching funds and have 21 months to complete construction of the facility.

The University is currently reviewing sites within the residence life complex for construction of the facility. The new facility will incorporate a multipurpose functionality for use by student organizations and will either be incorporated with new residence facilities or designed as a stand-alone project.

In May of 2012, designated storm shelter locations around campus were marked with bright yellow “Storm Shelter” signs to ensure they are easily identifiable and quickly located by students, staff and faculty.

Bob Harrington, physical plant director, said new evacuation maps that will clearly show where safe areas are located in each building on campus are being created. Upon completion, maps will be posted on each floor of each building and will be available on the university website.  

Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to educate themselves as to where the storm shelters are located in each campus building before an emergency arises.