Don’t be afraid to tell your story; show your real self to the camera

Liz Spencer

Liz Spencer

Why do I shoot photographs? Yes, I enjoy creating art. Yes, I enjoy the excitement of balancing composition, lighting and camera angles.

But more than that, I want to tell stories with photographs.

I joined The Chart as photo editor this semester to help bring the stories of our campus and community to life, along with the group of photographers we have on staff.

Can photos tell a story? The photos on page six of this issue are images of what I saw in our campus parking lot on Wednesday, Sept. 11.

Are they just car decorations?

Are they just silly embellishments?

I am compelled to say they are more than that, that they are stories of the people on our campus, from the adventure seeker to the hopeless romantic and the dedicated runner.

Can you relate to any of them?

I can find myself in more than one of these.

On some days, during different seasons of life, I can relate more closely to some than others.

Oh no, don’t take my photo, it’s a bad hair day; I want to loose 10 more pounds; I didn’t wear my favorite jeans today …

Not everyone wants to have his or her photo taken.

At times I think we all can shy away from the lens.

Yes, even I am not always in the mood to have my photo taken.

But please understand that a photograph, a visual element, brings richness and depth to the story.

So many times in the last few weeks I have wanted to say, “Please, let me show your passion, your gift, your mission to our readers.”

There will never truly be a perfect hair day; anyone could say they could be just a little more fit and there will always be some newer fashion coming out.

I long for the day when I will hear, just as Mr. DeMille heard from Gloria Swanson, “All right, Ms. Spencer, I’m ready for my closeup.”

Let go of the unattainable quest for perfection. Perfect is fake.

Be real.

What makes a good photo?

What tells a good story?

You.

Just as you are.