Plans to change for Senior Assessment

Usually Missouri Southern cancels classes for senior assessment day, allowing seniors to take the required statewide assessment. The University schedule this semester called for no class on Wednesday, Feb. 19 as usual, but one result of nearly a week’s worth of snow days is that the day off has been canceled instead.

According to an email sent out to the student body on Feb. 11, classes will be in session on Feb. 19.

“No other school in the state has a designated ‘Senior Assessment Day,” said Patsy Lipira, vice president of academic affairs. “With the recent decision to not hold classes on MLK [Martin Luther King] Day, we had decided that future academic calendars would not include a day off for assessment.”

According to Lipira, Southern will probably instead have an “Assessment Week” with various tests seniors can sign up for over the course of that week. This way, students will not have to miss classes.

“We are required to assess our seniors in both general education and major field,” Lipira said. “The results are reported at the state level and used on our campus.”

For this academic year, senior assessment testing will be rescheduled for a time in April; the exact date has not been set, but Lipira said it would most likely be a Saturday so as not to conflict with regular class schedules.