Lion women run to the weekend’s top spot

Willis Brown

Junior Kindra Emberton leads sophomore Dana Roberson as the Lions run their way to second place at the MIAA Indoor Championships at the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center on March 1.

Junior Amber White and the women’s track team brought home the top honors after compiling 96.75 points at the Emporia State Relays last week, taking the top spot over Emporia on their home turf by a slim two and three-quarter points.

White led the way with a victory in the 200m with a time of 24.85 and a third place in the 400m running to a finish of 56.83.

Following suit was junior runner Kindra Emberton who picked up second place in the 800m, coming in with a time of 2:21.00 and fourth in the 1500m with a time of 4:52.63.

Sophomore Dana Roberson stayed on the heels of Emberton, finishing in the fifth position with almost the exact same finishing time, 4:52.84.

Southern was able to finish highly in the 3k as well, with a second place finish coming from Kaitlyn Belisle, who was the top collegiate finisher in the field with a time of 10:15.84. Dora Eastin and Sierra Gray rounded out the Southern finishers as they placed fifth and seventh respectively.

Also performing well were freshman Emily Harris, who placed second in the 5k, and senior Whitney Hardy and junior Shelby Sutherland, who finished second and fourth in the high jump.

“The teams focus going into Pitt this weekend is to have a solid, all around performance,” said Harris. “The season is coming to an end and conference is right around the corner.”

It was another powerful performance for a Lions team flying through both the indoor and outdoor seasons with possibly their best performer set to lace his cleats back up this weekend.

Junior Jeff Fraley, after an injury suffered at the NCAA Division II Indoor Championships, looks to make his outdoor debut as the Lions travel to enemy territory for the PSU Relays.

Performing last week for the men were juniors Darion Boure and Jazz Allen, who each picked up top-five finishes in their respective events. For Boure it was a second place in triple jump with a distance of 50-8.50, a distance that earned him a provisional mark, and for Allen it was a fourth place in the 110m high hurdles.