Kinesiology holds ‘prideful’ 5k race

Students can still register for the Run with the Pride 5K, sponsored by Missouri Southern’s kinesiology department, but it will cost an extra $5 since the official registration deadline has passed.

The race will be held on the MSSU cross country field. Racers can register online through active.com, or in person at the kinesiology department office in the Robert Ellis Young Gymnasium.

The race is serving the dual purpose of raising funds for the department for the kinesiology club and serving as a class project for instructor Marty Conklin’s practicum in health promotion. The course is designed to give students some real-life experience.

“Creating and hosting this event will help students see what it’s like to build something from the ground floor and organize it,” said Conklin. “We’ve had numerous class sessions formulating the plan, how to market the race and getting the website set up on active.com. Students have also [gone] out in the community and sold sponsorships.”

Prizes will be awarded to the top three male and female finishers of the race, the top three male and female Southern student finishers, the top three male and female faculty finishers and the top three male and female staff and administration finishers.

All proceeds from the race will support the Kinesiology Club, and all participants will receive a medal at the completion of the race. If this year’s race is successful, organizers say it will become an annual event.

“With help from a dependable group of people, an event like this is something I would definitely organize on my own in the future,” said Morgan Spencer, a senior kinesiology major. A student in Conklin’s class, she was responsible for setting up the race on active.com.