Honoring Dr. León: Health Sciences dedicates building

Julio Leon (right), congratulates Dr. Alan Marble (left) on his recent appointment to the office of University president during the Julio S. Leon Health Sciences Center dedication ceremony.

Molly Schons/The Chart

A dedication ceremony recognizing community members who had given sizable donations to the Missouri Southern Health Sciences Center was held in the lobby of the Health Sciences Center Aug. 27. Among those recognized was former University President Julio S. León, who was honored with the official naming of the Julio S. León Health Sciences Center.

“On behalf of the school of health sciences, I am extremely pleased to be here with you today as we honor those who invested in Missouri Southern — for the naming of this building, a program and labs in this facility,” said Tia Strait, dean of the school of health sciences.

León, who attended the event with his wife Vivian, was named University president in 1982 and served for 25 years before resigning in 2007. During that time, he spearheaded the efforts that made the Health Sciences Center a reality. According to Strait, the Health Sciences Center first began to take shape in 1998, when “León saw the need for a facility on campus where all the health programs could be housed under one roof instead of five separate buildings on campus.”

“This was his number one funding initiative to the state for at least three years,” said Strait.

Plans for the center were drawn up during the 2000-2001 academic year and funds were appropriated for the fiscal year 2002. However, the plans were put on hold after the events of Sept. 11 2001 and were not revisited until 2007, when MSSU received an $18.9 million allocation made possible by the Lewis and Clack Discovery Initiative.

“Ten years after the initial plans for the health science building, these doors opened for these students in Aug. 2010,” said Strait, motioning toward the main entrance to the Health Sciences Center and the students who had gathered along the stairwell.

Other donors who had made sizable donations to the center were also recognized during the ceremony by both Alan Marble, current University president and León.

“Thank you to all the donors — everyone who gave even $100, 50 cents, a nickel — we really appreciate what you gave to us,” said Marble. “Thank you for your generosity and for believing in the future of Missouri Southern.”

After the dedication ceremony, ribbon cuttings were held for the McCune-Brooks Healthcare Foundation Nursing Department, the Pat and Carolyn Phelps Interdisciplinary Simulation Center and the John and Joy Cragin Computer Lab, which are all housed in Julio S. León Health Sciences Center.