New student senators take office

There was no shortage of activity at the first Student Senate meeting of the semester Wednesday night.

Shortly after all of the new members were introduced, newly appointed Vice President Saif Farag, senior biology major, announced that he was forced to step down due to time restraints, among other things.

After Farag resigned, Brooklyn Lampe, senior, environmental health, who was acting as the secretary, was promoted to the position of vice president. She will follow in her sister Brittany Lampe’s footsteps. Brittany Lampe served in the position last year. Lucas Stanley, sophomore, chemistry, assumed the vacated role of secretary after having served as a senator in 2013-14.

After the position changes were finalized, Senate moved on to other issues, including the purpose of Senate. Treasurer Raymond Dunaway, sophomore, accounting, began by reading the preamble to the Senate Constitution.

“The primary goal of Student Senate is to lend assistance to the student body and the University through promotion of student involvement in organizational projects and campus services,” he said.

Dunaway also addressed what to consider when dealing with appropriations. He listed three main rules Senate uses when looking at appropriations: Each registered student organization is allotted up to $1,000, the group must include a budget and none are allowed to include expenses for advisers.

President Jake Messer, junior, psychology, also addressed last year’s smoking ban that passed through a student vote with flying colors.

“While we are a student senate, we only represent the students,” said Messer. “There are two separate senates, the Faculty and Staff Senates, that have to talk about the smoking ban and then the Board of Governors will have the final say.”

Messer followed that with a call to the new senators to be involved in serving the student body.