Senate V.P. resigns due to schedule conflict

In the past couple of years, Student Senate has had its share of turnover within the executive ranks, starting with the departure of President Jonathan Saunders in 2012.

Last year, then-parliamentarian Cody Martin had to step down due to outside circumstances. This year started off on the wrong note when Vice President Saif Farag, a senior biology major, had to step down due to outside circumstances including family and class scheduling conflicts.

“It’s with great sadness that I will have to resign as the vice president of Student Senate, but my classes and family schedule do not permit me to be here,” said Farag. “I can no longer give Senate the attention it requires.”

Farag continued by encouraging other Senate members to continue serving the student body.

“It really is a great opportunity,” he said.

Treasurer Raymond Dunaway, accounting sophomore, stopped Farag to thank him before he left the meeting.

“Saif has faithfully served with us over the summer and last year as well,” said Dunaway. “I personally want to say that I appreciate everything you have done for us over the last few months.”

Farag exited the meeting to an appreciative applause. He plans to return to the Senate in the spring semester if he can fit it into his schedule and if there is an opening.

“Senate deserves someone who can stay in there full time and commit their time,” he said.

Farag left Senate with just a few words.

“Keep up the good work,” said Farag. “ Jake [Messer, Senate president] is determined and plans to put Senate on the straight and narrow path to success.”