Campus reunions welcome alumni, families

Missouri Southern students, faculty and staff aren’t the only ones celebrating Homecoming this weekend. In addition to all the festivities planned for current students, the Ralph L. Gray Alumni Center has organized several reunion events for former Missouri Southern graduates.

From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. tonight, the center will be hosting The All-Alumni Reception, which —. The cost to attend the event is $8 for members of the Alumni Association and $10 for non-members.

An alternative for those Southern alumni who normally wouldn’t be able to attend the All-Alumni Reception due to families and young children will also be held tonight. The Alumni Family Fun Night, a new addition to the Alumni Center’s annual homecoming events, will be held from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Route 66 Carousel Park in Joplin. To enjoy all the rides, alums must purchase $5 ride bracelets.

Also being held tonight is the International Media Seminar Reunion. The popular seminar celebrates its 15th anniversary of sending students to study in Paris. The reunion will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. at Keltoi Winery in Oronogo.

Tomorrow morning, Southern alums can attend the annual Lion Pride Brunch at 9 a.m. in the Billingsly Student Center’s Connor Ballroom. The cost to attend is $8 for members and $10 for non-members.

Immediately after the Lion Pride Brunch, the Homecoming Parade will begin at 11:30 a.m., followed by the Homecoming pre-game ceremonies at 1:30 p.m.. Being recognized during these events are recipients of the Outstanding Alumni and Lion-Hearted Awards, as well as the 1980 tennis team, the 1984 volleyball team and the 1990 softball team. According to Robert Corn, director of alumni affairs-athletics, these teams will be celebrating the 35th, 30th and 25th anniversaries of significant conference championships.

After the Homecoming game, another reunion will be held at Keltoi Winery for all alumni who went through Southern’s Honors program. Cost will be $16 per person.

Also holding reunions will be Missouri Southern’s Theatre Department and KGCS-TV, which is celebrating its 30th anniversary. According to Jim Lile, theatre department chair, the Theatre Alumni Reunion will be held at 6 p.m. in the Bud Walton Theatre and will include special performances by alums and current students, as well as a scene from the upcoming production of The Trojan Women. The KGCS-TV Reunion will begin at 6 p.m. in the Connor Ballroom.

Business casual attire is suggested for reunion gatherings. For last minute RSVPs, contact the Ralph L. Gray Alumni Center at 417-659-5466.