Buerk continues to shoot low numbers

Nick Burnham | The Chart

Sophomore golfer Trae Fairchild worked on his putting stroke during a practice round at Twin Hills Golf and Country Club on Oct. 10, 2014.

After a morning of rain last Monday, St. Joseph Country Club could not absorb any more water so play was suspended after only nine holes of the Lions final tournament of the fall semester.

Before the rain came, Ryan Buerk was leading for Southern through those first nine holes at three under par, while sophomores Taylor Lansford and Trae Fairchild both were at one over par.

“Those were about the worst conditions you could ask for as for rain, wind and the temperature,” Buerk noted.

After having to play 27 holes on the second day of the tournament last Tuesday, Missouri Southern finished seventh out of 19 teams in the Central Regional Invitational hosted by Missouri Western.

Buerk led the team and the rest of the field as he finished in first place with a two-round score of 146 for a total of four over par. Fairchild, who made his debut for the Lions, finished in 47th with a two round 157 while Ethan Hutcheson carded a 158.

Buerk said, “It was nice to accomplish a goal I have been expecting for awhile. It is hard to win in college; you need to put together solid round after solid round and I did that. Throughout the tournament I kept responding back after mistakes and that’s what it is all about, keeping a level head on my shoulders.”

The spring portion of the team’s season will start on March 9 and 10 as they travel to Danville, Ark., to take part in the David Falconer Classic hosted by Arkansas Tech.

“The spring should be a fun season,” said Arbuckle. “We have a chance to go to regionals as a team so it should be exciting. We know we are capable of being there. It’s just about going out there and trusting ourselves and putting up good numbers to get there.”