Dontae Winslow hosts music clinic at Southern

http://www.winslowdynasty.com/

Dontae Winslow changing lives through music

What do the artists: Jay-Z, Kanye West, Keyshia Cole, Avant, Beyonce, Dr. Dre, David Banner, Mary Mary, Kierra Sheard, Kendrick Lamar, Snoop Dog, Justin Timberlake, Jill Scott, Queen Latifah, Common, D’Angelo, Christina Aguilera, and Lauryn Hill, have in common? Well they have Dontae Winslow, artist and trumpeter, in common, and this famed collaborator will be visiting our campus.

Winslow will be at Missouri Southern and will offer a clinic for students and area high-school musicians on Friday, Oct. 31. He will also rehearse with the marching band. He will be on campus primarily to instruct, but he will also be performing at The Miners Bowl game. The game is Missouri Southern versus Pittsburg State University and will begin at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 1, at Fred G. Hughes Stadium.

Winslow is constructing this music clinic because he has a love for helping youth. According to his website, winslowdynasty.com, Winslow had a troubled home life, and it is what caused him to master music. He has survived many of the obstacles that plague young people today, and uses his music as a way to heal and inspire. Brian Fronzaglia, professor of music at Missouri Southern, was the catalyst for Winslow’s appearance on campus.

“He’s about as well rounded as you can get as a performer. During the clinic, he’ll talk about what it’s like to maintain an active performance schedule while touring with a major artist, how as a musician he’s able to maintain his personal level of performance and how that relates to students as they make the journey into their own professional careers,” Fronzaglia said in a press release.

This event links together an exciting semester for the Missouri Southern marching band, which recently returned from an appearance at the World Series in Kansas City.

“I am so excited to rehearse with Dontae,” Cameron Robertson, drum line participant, said, “and to perform with him at the game will be awesome.”