Senate shirt swap successful

Molly Schons | The Chart

Student Senate members Derrick Doud, Brooklyn Lampe and Kyle Deese give out T-shirts on Thursday, Nov. 13 in the Lions Den.

The Missouri Southern Student Senate gave students a chance to trade in other universities merchandise for a brand new Southern shirt on Wednesday and Thursday.

The event turned out to be a big success for Senate, who had purchased 200 long-sleeved white t-shirts for the giveaway.

The event came to fruition in the public relations subcommittee, which is led by PR chair Stacy Sonntag. Her and the rest of the senators viewed it as a way to both rid campus of other school’s merchandise – promoting school spirit in the process – and as a way for Senate to give back to the community.

“The clothes they bring in will be donated to Crosslines,” said Vice President Brooklyn Lampe.

Crosslines Churches of the Joplin Area is a local agency devoted to helping the less fortunate.

As of 11:30 on Tuesday, Senate was beginning to run low on supplies.

“We have collected around 150 articles of clothing,” said freshman senator Derrick Doud.

Junior health promotion major Casey Blevins was one of many students to participate.

“I’ll never turn down a free shirt,” said Blevins. “The idea of the event is really cool and the used clothing will be donated to good organizations.”

Sonntag couldn’t have been more pleased with the turnout.

“I thought it went very well for our first go at this,” she said. “Even if people weren’t donating, they were curious and asking questions to find out how the giveaway worked.”