Barlow leads new starting five

Samantha Zoltanski | Chart File

Senior Lane Barlow cuts his portion of the net in Kansas City, Mo. following the Lions MIAA Tournament Championship last season.

Nick Burnham, Sports Writer

As the wait for basketball season comes to a close, the men’s basketball team gears up to play for what they fell short of last year.

A native of Chicago, Lane Barlow attended high school at St. Rita of Casica High, where he was a four-time letter winner. His senior season, he averaged 20.1 points per game, 5.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists.

His senior year he was also an All-State selection, and was ranked in the top 20 point guards along with top the 50 players in the state of Illinois.

Barlow came to Southern after a season at Moraine Valley Community College, as well as a season at Southwest Baptist University.

Although winning the MIAA Tournament was a great success for last year’s team, this year’s team, led by Barlow, has bigger and better plans.

“I feel like we are working harder this year compared to last year,” Barlow said. “Everybody on the team has got something to prove this season.”

Jeff Boschee is the new head coach for Lions this season. Since Boschee has been at Southern, the team has made four consecutive MIAA tournaments and made three of the last four trips to the NCAA Division II postseason tournaments.

“Boschee as head coach now means that he can do things his own way and to the specifics that he wants,” Barlow said. “Throughout the summer he was constructing plays getting ready for this season.”

Barlow has one word to describe how he feels about the upcoming year.

“Electrifying, because we have young kids along with a lot of energy and talent to work with,” he said. “Compared to last year and seeing the talent that was the National Champions, I know that we got the same thing they had last year along with better coaching this year,” Barlow added.

The Lions head to South Dakota tomorrow for the Sanford Pentagon Tip-Off at Sioux Falls.