Charlie Brown: same face new place

Freshman guard Charlie Brown comes to Southern after a stellar career for the Eagles of Joplin High School. The Lions were able to recruit him away from other schools in the area as well as some Division I universities. Brown began his college career earlier this month and scored 16 points in 16 minutes against Ark.-Fort Smith in Southern’s first win of the 2014-2015 campaign.

Terri-Lynn Frasher | The Chart

Nick Burnham, Sports Writer

Although freshman basketball player Charlie Brown’s name might sound familiar to certain people thinking of the cartoon Peanuts gang, his teammates can assure you that he is now part of the Lions gang.

Brown was a four-year starter for the Joplin High School Eagles. He was a four-time All-Conference and four-time All-District and this season was an All-State selection. Brown scored 1,865 career points at Joplin, where as a senior he averaged 23.7 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.4 steals a game. His senior year Brown scored 498 points and had 16 games with 20 or more points, along with four games at 30 points or more.

After Division I schools and other junior college programs showed interest in the top high school basketball prospect in the area, Brown decided to commit to Southern and stay close to home.

“I picked Southern because of the coaching staff and by going to Joplin High School for four years, I got a lot of support from Southern and I knew most of the returning players,” said Brown.

Brown likes the outlook on the season because of the coaching. He will work with Jeff Boschee, who is in his first season as head coach for the Lions after serving four seasons as assistant coach.

“I like all the coaches,” Brown said. “They push us, but they all have different personalities so it balances everything out.”

Senior Lane Barlow said, “[Brown] is very smart and he knows his game, which is advanced for a freshman. Along with his basketball IQ, his focus level is very high and [he] expects highly of himself. Charlie also puts in the extra hours in the gym.”

“I feel like we have a lot of weapons so it’s going to take us a while to start clicking, but once we do, we shouldn’t lose,” Brown said. “Some of our weapons are Barlow, Taevaunn Prince, Cameron Cornelius, and Austin Wright along with myself. Just whatever you need on a team to win, our team possesses: shooters, playmakers, slashers, defenders. We have the whole package; we just have to put it together.”

As far as the start of his collegiate career, Brown said, “My first year here I am just trying to get some experience and win MIAA freshman of the year.”