Campus organizations unite to honor veterans

Veteran-Week-Flyer

Veteran-Week-Flyer

The MSSU Show-Me Gold Program, Student Veterans Organization, Recreational Services and Student Activities have come together to organize the Second Annual Run with the Heroes 5K, set to take place Saturday, Nov. 8, at 9 a.m. on Southern’s campus.

The run is the first of several events held in conjunction with Veterans Week to honor military personnel.

Steven Benfield, director of recreational services, said the event was a success in 2013, with over 100 participants. The 3.1 mile course, measured by the physical plant, will be different from last year, as construction on campus leaves the tunnel and dorms off-limits as part of the course.

“We really laid the course out so it would have a good view of campus,” said Benfield. “We thought that was kind of fun.”

Another benefit to keeping the course on campus is convenience, as busy roads and traffic usually require police to ensure safety.

Registration for the 5K is free for those with military I.D. and $15 for everyone else. All proceeds will go to military affiliated charities.

Participants can register the day of the event, at the Run Around in Joplin or online at www.active.com by searching “run with the heroes.” The first 200 to register will receive a free T-shirt.

Military coins will be issued as medals for those placing first, second and third in each of the nine age categories.

The run welcomes walkers, strollers and joggers. He added that all participants finished the race in under an hour last year.

Benfield said the Run with the Heroes 5K and other Veterans Week events are important for MSSU and military personnel.

“We want people — our community and future students — to know that we do support the military,” he said. “Programs like this really show that.”

Race-day registration will begin at 7:30 a.m. and the awards ceremony will follow at 10 a.m. For updates on the run, follow the event page at www.facebook.com/runwiththeheroes.