Annual Phonathon raises $13,000, still going

Brad Stout | The Chart

Christo Artistz, sophomore computer science major, places calls to members of the Missouri Southern community in an attempt to raise funds for the Southern Annual Fund Nov. 5 in the Billingsly Student Center. As of press time, the Phonathon had raised over $13,000.

Updated:

Phones have been ringing off the hook since Missouri Southern students began assisting the development office with its Annual Phonathon. The fundraiser, which serves as the main fundraising effort for the Southern Annual Fund, began Oct. 26 and will continue through Nov. 25.

The 25-30 students assisting with the effort work from a make-shift call center set up on the third floor of the Billingsly Student Center by third-party company RuffaloCODY. They are tasked with reaching out to Missouri Southern alumni and supporters in order to encourage financial donations for the University.

“The first week is kind of their training calls, so they call donors that have not necessarily given before,” said Elisa Bryant, development officer.

This year’s goal is to raise $100,000 for the Annual Fund, and the Phonathon intends to contribute to that goal as best it can. As of press time, the Phonathon has raised over $13,000.

“[It’s going] very well,” said Max Clark, program center manager with RuffaloCODY. “I think everyone’s excited with how things are going.”

According to JoAnn Graffam, executive director of the Missouri Southern Foundation, donations made to Missouri Southern through the Phonathon can be applied to any academic, athletic or performing arts program at the donor’s request. Donations can also be made to the Green and Gold fund, which provides the University with unrestricted money that can be used to address needs on campus as they arise — from funding scholarships and programs to making building improvements.

This year, the Phonathon has actually been moved from the spring semester to the fall semester, which Bryant thinks will help them raise more funds due to the increased energy on campus.

“With Homecoming and football, and then going into basketball, there’s just a lot of energy in the fall semester,” said Bryant.

Also new this year is the extension of the Phonathon from two weeks to four. According to Bryant, this decision was also made in the interest of raising more funds.

“We’re hoping to reach more donors,” said Bryant. “We usually get through probably half of our calls that we really want to make [during the usual two week period].”

For more information regarding the Phonathon, contact Bryant at (417) 625-3039.