Library director steps up to Academic Affairs

Molly Schons/The Chart

Spiva Library Director Wendy McGrane helps student worker Alex Purczinsky, sophomore health science business major, at the circulation desk on Wednesday, January 28.

Missouri Southern library director Wendy McGrane was appointed interim associate vice president of Academic Affairs and vice provost at the end of the fall 2014 semester.

The appointment will become effective July 1, 2015, with the new fiscal year, McGrane said.

The position became available with the impending departure of Dr. Crystal Lemmons, who currently holds the associate VP position. Lemmons will stay on campus and return to the biology department to teach, according to McGrane.

In addition to this change in position, current Vice President of Academic Affairs Pat Lipira will retire at the end of this semester. McGrane said the University has begun its search to fill Lipira’s position and that as interim associate VP of Academic Affairs, she will have the opportunity to meet the candidates.

“I just think that’s a very important position,” she said, “so we’re really looking for a strong academic leader.”

McGrane’s responsibilities in the department of Academic Affairs will include working with the Missouri Department of Higher Education to assess Southern’s programs and ensure they are meeting reporting requirements.

McGrane said she will spend this semester working closely with Lemmons and Lipira to get up to speed on the current projects of her new department and learn what her new responsibilities will be.

“I just want to fill whatever role and serve in whatever capacity they need me to serve,” she said.

McGrane has been with Southern since 1999, working as the references and instruction librarian as well as interim library director; she was appointed library director in 2003. She said it is strange and exciting to leave a position she has been in for 12 years.

“I will definitely miss the library,” McGrane said.