Fraley and Boure lead team with victories

Willie Brown | The Chart

Lions back at home and motivated by retribution

The Missouri Southern men’s track and field team was in Lawrence, Kan., Friday to compete in the mid-season Jayhawk Classic hosted by the University of Kansas. The Lions managed to win two individual events along with a provisional and also had three other individuals finish second in their respective events.

Senior sprinter Jeff Fraley won the 60 meter with a time of 6.77 in the finals, a time that ranks third nationally for the race in which he has already qualified. Fraley ran a 6.72 in the prelims, just .01 seconds off his school record. Later in the day, Fraley was narrowly edged out in the 400-meter dash by 0.11 seconds, finishing second in the event.

“I was happy with my performance,” said Fraley. “I was able to see that after running the 60m I still had plenty of energy to run the 400m well, but I still wish I would have run the 400m better.”

Senior jumper Darion Boure was the Lion’s other winner, hitting a provisional distance and winning the triple jump by clearing 47-10.00 and leaping a distance of 14.58 meters.

“I was very pleased with this weekend; I think it was an obvious step in the right direction, especially for our runners,” said head coach Bryan Schiding. “Jeff made a very uncharacteristic move that ended up losing him the race [400m]. He gave the inside to a runner that out-leaned him at the line. Overall I would give us a B.”

The freshman duo of Sam Kohrs and Thomas Hawkins placed fourth and sixth in the 600-yard contest. Kohrs finished in 1:14.37, while Hawkins ran a time of 1:14.85.

“Sam Kohrs and Thomas Hawkins ran very good races; they’re starting to grow up a little bit,” said Schiding. “Sam’s getting a little tougher; he had to push off a couple KU runners. That was good to see him standing up for his own because freshman oftentimes don’t do that.”

Sophomore thrower Bryan Burns placed second in the weight throw, hitting a distance of 54-06.00.

“I wasn’t very pleased with my performance at all,” said Burns. “I’m ahead of where I was last year at this point, but I didn’t increase my PR like I was quite hoping to at this meet. But overall this season has been great in the weight throw.”

Senior runner Andrew Webster returned to action after an Achilles injury, placing sixth in the afternoon 3k with a time of 8:36.89.

“I have a lot of work to do, but that’s a good start,” said Webster. “We have a lot of work to do as a team, but we have what it takes if everybody trains hard and knows their job. We’re hungry; we remember losing by a point last year, and no one wants to feel that again.”

The Lions are at home this weekend for the two-day MSSU Lion Open, which starts today at 9 a.m. inside the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center. Southern will then host the Missouri Southern High School Open on Sunday. The event is open to all children ages 13-18.