Student Senate approves new members

The Missouri Southern Student Senate unanimously approved two new student senate members Wednesday night during their weekly meeting.

Freshman mass communication major Abigail McGuire and freshman premed and biology major Joshua Ferry were both asked to introduce themselves before being invited to leave the room while the sitting senators decided their fates. They returned to the meeting full-fledged members and took their seats amongst their peers.

“I’m very excited about it and look forward to being able to serve and relate to different individuals in various types of ways,” said McGuire. “As I progress in the Student Senate I’d like to be able to see some positive changes and be a part of that process.”

“I’m very proud,” said Ferry. “I’m glad that they chose me to help them make decisions. I know that this place is going to help me, and I’d like to help back.”

Before voting on McGuire and Ferry, the candidates gave their opinion on things they wanted to accomplish during their time with the Senate.

“I’d like to be able to put something together where we are helping incoming freshman become more acclimated to life as a college student,” said Ferry. “After the first week of classes maybe we can have dinner with some of the older students who can give the freshman a better idea of what they can expect from college life.”

In other news, Student Senator Jacob Layne nominated himself to be the Student Senate candidate for Homecoming King. Senator Veronica Rodriguez will be running for Homecoming Queen.

The deadline for groups sponsoring a royalty candidate to have the completed nomination forms and the fee turned into the Student Activities Office is by the Wednesday before Homecoming week.

Senate members also provided an update on the recent smoking ban legislation calling the implementation of the prohibition on all tobacco products and vaporizers as “a soft roll out.”

“It’s going to be a slower process,” said Dr. Michael Hulderman, Student Senate faculty advisor. “I’ve been on campus where they’ve had these bans, and it’s taken years to get it to where it’s enforceable. The softer the role out the better, it may take three or four years.”

The Senate has ordered 24 new trash cans without the ashtrays that will replace the current receptacles in front of all main doorways.

“If we have faculty and staff that are chewing or have a cigar in their mouth that doesn’t look good, we’ve got to set the example,” said Hulderman.