Marshall’s career night extends winning streak

Kelvin Dulley II, Sports Editor

Senior Bruce Marshall dunking the ball on Pink Day against Missouri Western State University on Robert Corn Court inside the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center on Jan. 30, 2015. Marshall started his first game of the season against MWSU as he dropped 10 points and three blocks. On Feb. 6 against Washburn, Marshall scored a career-high 22 points. Since being inserted in the starting rotation, Marshall is averaging 12 points, three rebounds, and two blocks a game. 

Three quarters of the season is in the books for the Missouri Southern men’s basketball team as Southern (14-9, 11-6 MIAA) sits in third place in the conference. Only two games separate the 2-5 rank teams in the conference. 

Since the starting rotation changed against Missouri Western on Jan. 30, the Lions have rattled off two straight victories and are aiming to grab the two seed for the MIAA tournament. The Northwest Missouri State Bearcats, who has swept the season series against Southern, currently hold the number one seed and are the only team in conference to clinch a tournament spot. 

The Lions were last in action against the Washburn Ichabods inside Lee Arena last Saturday. Prior to Saturday’s matchup, Southern had beaten Washburn by an average total of 21.5 points in their last two meetings. Southern defeated the Ichabods on Robert Corn Court, 92-72. 

If the second round of the MIAA tournament started today, these two teams would be on a collision course to meet for a third time assuming all top seeds win in the first round.

Like Missouri Western and Emporia State, the Lions beat the Ichabods on Saturday, 103-95 and complete the season sweep of all three teams.

Taevaunn Prince tallied his eighth 30-point game of the season. Prince was perfect on the night as he went 10-10 from the field (2-2 from the three) and 10-10 from the free-throw line equaling 32 points. He added nine rebounds and six assists. He now sits in 14th place on the all-time scoring list at MSSU with 1,129 points.

Newly inserted senior Bruce Marshall had a career-high 22 points, shooting 8-11 from the field and 2-4 from long range, while sinking all four of his free throw attempts. 

He had six rebounds and three blocks to go along with his career night. The all-time leading three-point shooter in MSSU history, Austin Wright went 5-10 from three as he scored 19. Sophomore standout Charlie Brown scored 10 points. 

Southern will be back in action tomorrow as the Lions will play host to Fort Hays State. Tip-off from Robert Corn Court inside the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center is slated for 3 p.m.