Lion Ambassadors showcase best and brightest

http://www.mssu.edu/advancement/giving/lion-ambassadors.php

The Lion Ambassador program offers students a number of ways to become more influencial on Southern’s campus. The opportunity establishes networking opportunities, offering scholarship money for time spent.

The outreach program known as Lion Ambassadors began last semester with a simple mission, to instill pride amongst the student body and promote the University within the Missouri Southern community. This mission was to include past, present and future students.

The stated purpose of the organization is to assist the Missouri Southern Foundation and President’s office while serving the University through campus projects, philanthropies, as well as being student leaders at special events. 

“Having worked at other Universities I had seen these type of groups be very effective at engaging community members on behalf of the University,” said Dr. Brad Hodson, executive vice president of development. “So when I arrived here at Southern and saw that they didn’t have a student ambassador program for external relations, I started the process of putting together a group that could work with donors, community leaders, and corporate partners to be the student face to these external constituents.”

Since that time the Lion Ambassadors have become a valuable part of the Southern family. The group has thrived in many roles from alumni relations to charity work. 

“When you have an exceptional student say to an outside group, ‘I love Missouri Southern,’ that’s worth millions to us in terms of relationship building, it’s a program that will yield many benefits to this institution over the next 15-20 years,” said Hodson.

The ambassadors also serve as a Rotaract Club, affiliated with local Rotary groups the Joplin Daybreak Club and Noon Club. Rotaract brings together adults ages 18-30 to take action in their communities, develop their leadership and professional skills, and have fun.

“The most rewarding thing about being a Lion Ambassador is being one of the faces representing Missouri Southern,” said Lindsay Baker, junior public relations major. “We have some networking opportunities that other students wouldn’t have.”

Upcoming events for the Ambassadors include working with Rapha House, a local organization that heals children who have been rescued from trafficking and sexual exploitation, as well as Miracle League, a group that helps children with disabilities, participate in sporting events. 

“Were up to 25 members now which are an excellent group, staying at around 25-30 is our goal,” said Elisa Bryant, faculty advisor to the Lion Ambassadors.

Students who participate in the Lion Ambassador program also receive a $250 scholarship per semester. Applications for any student wants to apply are available online at mssu.edu/advancement/giving/lion-ambassadors.php

“This group has set the standard for future Ambassadors, they have done so well and far exceeded my expectations,” said Hodson. “It doesn’t matter what you decide to do when you leave here, building relationships is at the core of everyone’s role on this planet, these students will have a head start on that.”