Student Senate passes resolution

The Missouri Southern Student Senate approved their first resolution of the spring semester Wednesday night during their weekly meeting in the Billingsly Student Center conference room. The resolution, put forth by Jacob Layne, sophomore political science major, is to “Acknowledge and Commend the Service of Student Senators to the Student Body of Missouri Southern State University.”  The resolution would award any member of the Senate who serve’s for at lease one year and maintains GPA requirements, with a medal recognizing their service. The award is inscribed “A Posse Ad Esse,” a Latin phrase meaning “from possibility to actuality.”“The medal doesn’t matter all that much, it’s all about what you do while you’re a member of the Student Senate to make a difference,“ said Layne. “However it’s still nice to be recognized. I know the system of the Senate is slow but if you show enough dedication, you can get some great things accomplished.”Senate members were also asked to submit background information about themselves for online profiles that will be posted on social media sites. “Ultimately our goal is to represent Missouri Southern students, that’s why we are here, and so we want to make students feel that we are accessible,” said Student Senate Vice President Daniella Campbell, senior nursing major. “We want them to see we are students like them, and we don’t just sit in a big glass room and talk about money.”The Senate Finance committee also heard testimony from the Missouri Southern Chamber Singers who appeared to request funding for an organization-wide recruiting trip to Kansas City March 13-16. The group submitted an appropriation request for the maximum amount of $1,000.  The Senates current budget stands at $48,026.02.“We are performing at various high schools in the goal that we can impress them and show them what our music department is about but also what our university has to offer in the hope that they will choose to come here for their University experience,” said Zachary Pettit, senior vocal music education major. Student Senate will be back in session at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 2 when the body will vote on the funding request. 

The Missouri Southern Student Senate approved their first resolution of the spring semester Wednesday night during their weekly meeting in the Billingsly Student Center conference room. 

The resolution, put forth by Jacob Layne, sophomore political science major, is to “Acknowledge and Commend the Service of Student Senators to the Student Body of Missouri Southern State University.”  

The resolution would award any member of the Senate who serve’s for at lease one year and maintains GPA requirements, with a medal recognizing their service. The award is inscribed “A Posse Ad Esse,” a Latin phrase meaning “from possibility to actuality.”

“The medal doesn’t matter all that much, it’s all about what you do while you’re a member of the Student Senate to make a difference,“ said Layne. “However it’s still nice to be recognized. I know the system of the Senate is slow but if you show enough dedication, you can get some great things accomplished.”

Senate members were also asked to submit background information about themselves for online profiles that will be posted on social media sites. 

“Ultimately our goal is to represent Missouri Southern students, that’s why we are here, and so we want to make students feel that we are accessible,” said Student Senate Vice President Daniella Campbell, senior nursing major. “We want them to see we are students like them, and we don’t just sit in a big glass room and talk about money.”

The Senate Finance committee also heard testimony from the Missouri Southern Chamber Singers who appeared to request funding for an organization-wide recruiting trip to Kansas City March 13-16. The group submitted an appropriation request for the maximum amount of $1,000.  The Senates current budget stands at $48,026.02.

“We are performing at various high schools in the goal that we can impress them and show them what our music department is about but also what our university has to offer in the hope that they will choose to come here for their University experience,” said Zachary Pettit, senior vocal music education major. 

Student Senate will be back in session at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 2 when the body will vote on the funding request.