Art show spotlights offbeat work

Pablo Ortiz, The Chart

Missouri Southern Associate professor of art Burt Bucher regularly adds abstract or figurative elements to his work including pieces that highlight the human condition. Bucher created six unique pieces for the faculty Art show that incorporate jumbled words that feature particular phrases. The pieces will be on display until Feb. 19.

Jack Girard, Staff Writer

The time is right and the Faculty Art show has opened again. It will be open until the 19th and its operating hours are nine to five. The theme this year was developed by Graphic Design professor Devon Estes; that theme being experimental typography.  The idea originated as only character, but instructors decided to focus it in on actual words and letters. 

Burt Bucher, Associate professor, created six pieces of jumbled words with certain phrases highlighted. “It was fun for me to have a themed exhibit to play with words,” Bucher said, “I kind wanted to have this fun play between what you see and what’s secondary and what’s on subtext and sublevels.” 

Bucher often uses figurative or abstract elements in his work, so all six works maintained a unifying theme within that though. “All of these (his paintings) are kind about the general condition human condition, things about not being asleep in your daily life, looking for more out of life.” 

Amber Minert, Assistant Professor of Art, took it within her own style as well. She created two new pieces for the exhibition reminiscent of twentieth century ads.

“I tend to go more retro surrealism,” she said, “Since I do a lot with 1950s imagery I went back to 1950s advertisements and used the type face they used.” The two dimensional art also included a sewn component on both of her two works. “A lot of typography or writing that was put on daily household items and it was all done in this traditional embroidery so I thought it would be fun to use the typeface of the era.” Errors were made purposely to improve its authenticity.

Frank Pikshkur, Interim Chair, struggled with it. Having two degrees in ceramics, he needed to find a way to make his art fit the theme. “The charge was to use experimental type which was kind of difficult because in my work, I don’t use text at all,” Pishkur said, “a lot of works were developed specifically for the exhibition.” 

He created a bowl with letters running up and down the sides for the exhibition. “It does not actually spell anything out,” Pikshur said, “That’s always the debate. Do you want to say something or do you want to have the hint of typography and just kind of lead the viewer in?” He went on to compare his original thought to a word puzzle, but allow for interpretation.