Theatre season wrapping up

Aaron Weatherford

Cast members Kelly Campbell, senior psychology major, Kendrick Carlock, sophomore theatre major, Joshua Lee Pruss, freshman theatre major and Mollie Sanders, senior theatre major rehearse in Taylor Auditorium April 19 to prepare for this weekend’s shows.

Southern Theatre will wrap up their spring season this weekend with a funny and interactive performance.

Commedia Princess and the Pea only has four cast members, however, they are very high-energy and will bring entertainment for all. The performers are travelers who have made all the props and costumes from objects they have found.

“Yes, it is a lot of fun, it is all about the kids,” said Mollie Sanders, senior theatre major.  “This could be somebody’s first exposure to theatre.”

Commedia Princess and the Pea is being directed by Ann Lile. Lile has been teaching for about 35 years and directing for nearly 40 years.

Lile believes the actors should have a say, but also as a director of children’s plays, there has to be a high-energy and the focus is on the kids.

“It’s brighter, louder, faster, colorful…with the children’s show,” Lile added. 

Commedia Princess and the Pea will have matinee performances this weekend. Performances on both Saturday and Sunday will start at 2:30 p.m. in Taylor Auditorium.

Admission to the show is $3 for adults, and $1 for children 12 and under.