Student senate changing of the guard

Pablo E. Ortiz

Student senate makes a number of choices that impact the student body of Missouri Southern. To be more informed get involved or attend meetings on the third floor of Billingsly Student Center at 5:30 p.m. every Wednesday.

Southern Student senate wrapped up its passing of the torch Wednesday, May 4. Darren Fullerton, vice president of student affairs and a student senate sponsor, hosted the event. 

“It’s great for us to honor the senators who have put their time and effort in and made the campus a better place,” Fullerton said. 

He congratulated them on their accomplishments this year, including renovations for the student tunnel mural and a new electronic marquee, before handing the floor to the senators. 

Senior medals were handed out first to Danielle Campell, Zach Harmon, Eli Moran, Kyle Prisock, and Nga Vo. Past senators had medals made for them to be collected at a later time. 

Last year’s Senate Executive Officers were acknowledged for their work next. Kyle Prisock, the exiting senate president, announced the special recognition awards. 

Outstanding Public Relations Committee Member was awarded to Claire Mason. 

Outstanding Capital Improvements Committee Member was presented to Connor Ames. Outstanding Senator was awarded twice to Zach Harmon and Abigail McGuire. 

Advisor’s choice was awarded to Danielle Campell. A senator encouraged a speech, which she declined. 

The new officers of 2016-2017 were sworn in and congratulated by the former office holders. Amanda Gardner was sworn in as president with Kyle Deese as her vice. Colby Smith was then sworn in as secretary and Greg Reynosa as treasurer. 

“I’m looking forward to next semester,” Gardener, pre-med and president, said, “we had a great year and we’re looking forward to getting a lot of stuff done.”