Student Senate elects Vice President and Secretary

Phaze Roeder

The Missouri Southern Student Senate convened  for its weekly meeting Wednesday September 21, 2016 in the Billingisly Student Center. The body voted Conner Ames to be its new Vice President.

The Student Senate met Wednesday evening on the third floor of Billingsly Student Center with discussions regarding the replacement of two former executive board positions. 

Senate President Amanda Gardner recommended Colby Smith, current secretary and senior biology/pre-med major, as the new vice president.

“I think his commitment to Student Senate and experience makes him a good fit for this position,” said Gardner. “I believe he will give it the attention it needs.”

Current Senator Connor Ames was voted in as secretary due to the vacancy following Smith’s promotion. Gardner says Ames makes a good fit due to his attention to detail and effective time management skills. 

Both members were elected unopposed. 

Following the elections, the finance committee, led by current treasurer senior Greg Reynaga, met to discuss requested funding for three campus organizations. 

The Public Relations Student Society of America requested $1,000 to fund one member to attend their national conference in Indianapolis. This amount would include all registration fees, flight costs, and lodging. Chemistry Club also requested funding totaling $1,000 for six of their upperclassman to attend the Big Ten Plus Grad Expo at Purdue University in Lafayette, Ind. Sophomore physics major Grant August says that all those attending plan to pursue graduate school following their studies at Missouri Southern. 

“Getting these students in front of grad schools, as a direct reflection of Missouri Southern State University, is a top priority for me,” said senior committee member Holly Stone.

The Student Nursing Association requested funding for six members to attend an upcoming conference in Kansas City, Mo. They also requested $1,000, which is the full amount given by the Student Senate to a single organization in a semester, to cover lodging and registration costs.

“We have at the moment a little over $55,000 in the finance budget,” said Reynaga. “A portion of this comes from activity fees within each student’s tuition. Last semester we gave out about $22,000 to MSSU student organizations. “