Student Senate elections held

Student Senate elections held

Student Senate elections held

Student Senate kicked off another semester last week with the deadline on Student Senate petitions for election. Darren Fullerton, vice president for student affairs, says students must get 50 valid signatures on the petition to be included on the ballot.

Once the Petition for Student Senator form is turned in, the student affairs office verifies enrollment, GPA, and class eligibility for each candidate before the names go on the ballot.

Elections were held in the Lion’s Den Sept. 7 and 8 and included all eligible applicants who are taking at least one class on campus and earning a 2.0 GPA. Distance learning students are eligible if they pay a $25 student activity fee, and part-time students must complete an at-large election process.

Fullerton said the turnout was better than in previous years, with three freshmen, three sophomores, nine juniors, six seniors, and one at-large submitting petitions.

Colby Smith, current secretary of Student Senate, said he has gained a lot from his time with the organization to better prepare him for his future in the professional world.

“Being involved is a time commitment, especially being an elected officer,” he said. “[It’s] essential to development throughout your college career and teaches you time management skills and prepares you for the next step after you graduate.”

The Senate is the elected voice of the student body, looking at issues and projects that can better the student experience on Southern. A few of the projects managed by the Senate are the Lion Plaza, the tobacco ban, and painting of the tunnel mural beneath Newman Road.

Student Senate meetings are held Wednesdays at 5:30 p.m. in the Billingsley Student Center Room 310. The first meeting will be Sept. 14. Meetings are open to the public.