Turner jumps into 10-foot record breaker at second meet

The Lady Lions track and field team traveled to the University of Oklahoma for the J.D. Martin Invitational.

The team did not have as good of a showing as the opening meet, but a couple of individuals were able to flourish in their events.

The team mostly faced Division I competition from schools like the University of Arkansas, Wichita State University, Kansas State University, the University of Texas-Arlington and OU.

“We had some real mixture, we had some bright spots, we had some spots where we needed improvement,” said head coach Patty Vavra.

“I think we improved…we did a really good job,” said vaulter Melissa Turner.

Some of the bright spots included sophomore pole vaulter Turner, who broke the indoor school record with a height of 10-10. Sophomore Danee Jones improved her distance in the weight throw with a toss of 57-9. Jen Noelken placed seventh in the mile run with a time of 5:20, and Alisha Adams placed fifth in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:18.

Results from the running events included: in the 200-meter dash, Ashley Fisher placed 17th; in the 400-meter dash, Iashia Castle placed eighth; in the one-mile run, Megan Russell placed ninth and Michelle Brenner placed 10th; in the 800-yard run, Megan Russell placed 14th; in the 3,000-meter run, Johanna Kanala placed eighth, and Rachel Patterson placed 10th; and in the mile relay, Southern finished seventh.

Results from the indoor events included: in the high jump, Sara Mueller placed 10th; in the triple jump, Charmaine Kent placed eighth; in the shot put, Jones placed ninth; and in the weight throw, Shonna Sherrell placed 12th.

This week the team will host its second indoor meet of the season and it will also be the first time the Lady Lions will get to see other MIAA schools, besides Pittsburg State, in competition. Emporia State University will be the only conference school not attending this pre-conference championship meet.

“I think that we will see as competitive field this week (compared to last week),” Vavra said. “We’re going to have a few more people than we did the first meet…and you’ll see a competitive group of performers within a small amount of time and distance in this meet.”

The Baymont Inn/Fazoli’s Open Invitational begins at 5 p.m. Friday at the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center. Saturday’s events begin at 11 a.m. On Sunday, there will be a high school meet at noon. Any high school student is welcome to compete.