Group invites believers, nonbelievers in search of God

Members of Campus Crusade for Christ finish an activity at their weekly gathering.

Campus Crusade is a new worship experience at Missouri Southern.

The fellowship begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday nights in the Student Life Center and is catching on fast, said James Shuls, junior elementary education major and team leader. He saw a need for Campus Crusade at Southern and proceeded to establish a local chapter with some help from the Kansas City director of Campus Crusade.

“Last year, a friend of mine invited me to the Denver Christmas conference, and when I came back, I thought that we needed a ministry like that here,” Shuls said.

The ministry is described as international and interdenominational.

“We want to give everyone the opportunity to come to Christ and know His love,” Shuls said. “I think Campus Crusade meetings are good for believers and nonbelievers. It’s a chance to build new friendships, it gives Christians a chance to grow in their faith and it gives nonbelievers a chance to ask questions and seek answers.”

Meetings begin and end with praise music, a message is shared, and those attending participate in activities and games. Shuls, along with other members, hopes to begin small Bible studies. Mission trips and other opportunities are also planned to be made available through Campus Crusade.

“It’s an opportunity to meet fellow Christians who have similar beliefs,” said Angie Benyo, senior computer information sciences major. “It’s an opportunity to learn about the Bible outside of church.”

Benyo was skeptical about Campus Crusade but embraced the ministry after her first experience with the group.

“I was introduced to it by a friend,” Benyo said. “I didn’t really expect myself to attend, but I ended up going and really enjoyed it. To me, Campus Crusade is a different type of ministry from other ones. We do a lot of different things like watching a video series, having speakers come in and working in small groups.”

Benyo wishes others to share her experience.

“Give it a chance,” she said. “At least come once and see whether you like it or not. It could change your life.”