Children learn ABCs; parents study

Halee Philips, junior education major, teaches Ali Doll, 2, at the Child Development Center.

Logan Brewer has been making handprints and footprints this last week.

Why? Because it’s “All About Me” time at the Childhood Development Center. Brewer is 4 and is making a book about himself to show his parents.

“On the end of the week we can take it home,” Brewer said.

Brewer is one of an average 35 children who go to the on-campus daycare center. He’s been going to the CDC for about two years and says he enjoys “riding the big bikes,” which are bicycles the children play with in the playground area outside the daycare.

The CDC has provided a place for faculty, staff, students and alumni to bring their children since 1986. The center can now take up to 55 children at a time, ages 2-5 during the fall and spring semesters and ages 2-8 during the summer.

Amber Tankersley, director of the CDC, said it costs $20 a day to have a child at the center.

“It’s pretty comparable with other daycares in the area,” Tankersley said.

Children can run and play from 7 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. at the center with breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack in between. There are three fulltime teachers who teach at the daycare. Brewer said he’s learning his ABCs and numbers right now.

The daycare staff keeps the children busy with games, puzzles, art, blocks, recess, a sandbox, water table and class – not forgetting the nap after lunch.

Melissa Toalson, junior secondary English major, has worked at the daycare for three years.

“It’s not easy by any means,” Toalson said, “but it’s fun.”

The center is flexible when it comes to working around her class time so she can receive the hours she needs. Toalson said she thinks a daycare center at Missouri Southern is a great idea, because parents can get an education while their kids are getting quality care.

“The teachers are some of the nicest people you will ever meet,” she said.

Tankersley said the daycare center is accredited, which means takes extra measures to ensure quality childcare.

“We are the only accredited center in Joplin right now,” she said.

The center always makes sure it has the 10 children to one adult ratio in order to abide by childcare rules. Tankersley said this isn’t a problem because of all the student help they have.

Many elementary education majors work at the center through work study or student help. She said early childhood and assessment of early childhood majors also help out because of projects they must do for class.

“We create a very wonderful experience for our children,” Tankersley said.