Homecoming display stolen from campus

Julie Blackford-Director of Student Activities

Koinonia is looking for three bulldogs and a lion.

Not actual animals, but on the evening of Oct. 5, most of Koinonia’s Homecoming display was stolen.

A few bales of hay and a sign that read “Round Up the Bulldogs” were all that was left of Koinonia’s display on the morning of Oct. 6.

Five members of Koinonia stayed up until 10:30 p.m. on Oct. 5 finishing their display. When Daniel Horner, junior health promotion and wellness major, went by the display the next morning, he noticed that the cut-out of a lion roping three bulldogs he had helped make the night before was gone. He contacted Julie Blackford, director of student activities, who then called campus security.

“I don’t know why anyone would steal it,” Blackford said.

Horner said when he first saw that the display had been taken, he was really angry.

“I was so mad at first,” Horner said.

But, Horner and the other Koinonia members decided not to let it get to them and redid the display Oct. 6. Ten additional people helped the original five designers, and from 6:30 p.m. until midnight, they worked on the display until it was finished.

“I’m glad that everyone pulled together and put forth an effort last night so we could get the display back up,” said Eric Ducommun, sophomore physics major and president of Koinonia.

He said he has no idea why the display was stolen or who took it. Ducommun said it may have been another organization or somebody just stealing it for kicks.

“Either way, it’s pretty disappointing,” he said.

Blackford said not all the 11 organizations with displays were questioned, but because of rumors, the Greeks were asked about the incident. She said after questioning the Greeks, she doesn’t think they had anything to do with it.

Horner said he believes it was another organization that took the display, but he doesn’t know which one.

“I think it’s really immature,” he said.

Horner thinks some organization must have stolen it for competitive reasons. Koinonia had to spend twice the time on its display, but also twice the money.

Blackford said if Koinonia hadn’t redone its display, she would have allowed its display to be judged by a photo that was taken of the original display.