Funds occupy Senate’s time

Nate Billings

Rain did not keep senators from coming to the March 3 Student Senate meeting and discussing the issues at hand.

Senate will pay the cost of buying and planting a tree in dedication to Josh Celli, a junior at Missouri Southern who was killed in a car accident, Feb. 27.

The tree is to be planted on the residence hall side of campus.

Zack Odem, Senate president, approved the allocation himself with the consent of the Senate advisers.

Any allocation $100 or under may be approved by the president and advisers without a vote from the Senate. The tree will cost approximately $60.

Among the committee meeting reports, senator Eric Ducommun, sophomore senator, gave a brief overview of the parking and traffic reports committee.

Senators laughed at pieces of the report.

“Unless your student ID or driver’s license says Julio Len, students cannot park in the president’s spot,” Ducommun said.

Senate had $9,900 at the beginning of the meeting.

Two organizations received funding for conference trips.

August 4-8, Kappa Alpha will be sending members to Austin. KA will attend a leadership conference to learn about becoming more involved in community and campus projects.

Josh Stout, senior CIS major and senator, represented the organization. The organization received $1,000.

Alpha Kappa Delta, the sociology honors society, received $1,000 to go to a conference meeting in Kansas City.

The conference will allow 11 members to meet with professionals and other leaders in the field of sociology.

Jeannie Archie, senior sociology major and Senate vice president represented the organization.

Senators who are a member of an organization requesting funds are not allowed to vote on the allocation of funds. Senate officers do not vote on allocation requests.

A request from the group World Issues for Study by Educators was tabled because the organization could not attend the meeting.

After brief reminders about track and field and basketball games, Senate voted to adjourn.

Odem said the electronic sign project has become the electronic marquee project.

“Hopefully by graduation we will have a sign on Newman Road welcoming the graduates and their families,” he said.

Odem said the project is still in the planning stage, but will be ready for contract bids soon.

He said because Newman is a state road, there are other regulations slowing the process down.