Campus Calendar

The Missouri Southern Jazz Orchestra, under the direction of Phillip Wise, head of the music department, will perform at 7:30 p.m., Tuesday in Webster Hall auditorium.

The orchestra is an 18-member jazz ensemble that is grounded in traditional swing music. The Count Basie Band, Duke Ellington Orchestra, Woody Herman Herds and Clark Terry Big Band is the basis of the orchestra’s literature.

The orchestra also performs new and contemporary literature.

The Tuesday night concert is entitled “Something Old-Something New” and features Dr. Carl W. Knox on saxophone. Knox is currently serving as the director of jazz studies at Central Connecticut State University. He has also served on the faculty of the Clark Terry Summer Jazz Institute. Knox has performed with jazz artists that include Doc Severinsen, Bobby Shew, Branford Marsalis and Mel Torme.

Concert selections include “Take the ‘A’ Train,” “Moonlight Serenade,” “My Old Flame” and “Shell Game.” Knox will be featured on “Naima,” “On Green Dolphin Street,” “Winelight” and “Meet the Flintstones.”

The concert is free and open to the public. Doors open at 6 p.m, and limited seating is available.

Four Missouri Southern senior art students will hold the opening reception for their Senior Art Exhibit from 1-4 p.m., April 10 at the Spiva Art Gallery.

Scott Campbell, senior studio art and graphic communications major; Donna Culp, senior art education major; Ben Ertel, senior studio art major; and Desara Short, senior graphic communications major, are the exhibitors.

The exhibit, which runs from April 10-16, is one of several planned for the spring semester by art students in their final year of study.

The exhibit will feature a variety of techniques and media the students have studied at Southern.

This includes paintings, drawings, jewelry, sculpture, ceramics, digital images and graphic design.

For information on this exhibit or on the other student exhibits, contact the art department and/or Spiva Art Gallery at 625-9563.

KGCS will once again air telecasts from the St. Louis Cardinals baseball games this season.

A total of 38 regular-season games will be featured, primarily on Saturdays and Sundays.

Schedules showing the televised games and season pocket schedules are available for pick-up at KGCS in the Communications Department on the ground floor of Webster Hall.

Persons wishing to have schedules mailed to them may send in a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: KGCS-TV, Missouri Southern State University, 3950 E. Newman Road, Joplin, Mo. 64801.

KGCS airs on Joplin/Webb City cable channel 7 and UHF channel 57.

It may also be seen on other area cable providers. For information, contact Judy Stiles at 625-9777.

Applications are being accepted for the Children’s Lifetime Sports Academy sponsored annually by the Missouri Southern department of kinesiology. The academy will be held from 12:30 to 5 p.m., June 7-10. All children, ages 7-12, are welcome to attend.

The goal of the academy is to teach the skills and to promote the appreciation of selected activities that can be played for fun, health and fitness throughout life. Activities include golf, bowling, fishing, racquet sports, Frisbee and rhythms.

Pat Lipira, department head of kinesiology, is giving children and grandchildren of Southern faculty and staff a $10 discount. The discounted fee of $55 per child covers the four days of instruction, use of facilities and equipment, insurance and a T-shirt. For application forms and additional information, contact the department of kinesiology at 625-9316.

The next installment in the international film festival is The Red and the White. The film was banned from the USSR for many years.

The film is set in central Russia during the 1918 Civil War.

The film begins at 7:30 p.m. in Matthews Hall Auditorium. For information about the film festival, call 625-9614.