Letters

College students forget manners, show disrespect

I know college is a huge difference from high school, but have manners really changed? In high school, we aren’t allowed to get our things together, stand up and talk to our classmates while the teacher is still talking. In college, this happens all the time. It’s disrespectful not only to the students who are still trying to listen to the instructor, but it’s very disrespectful to the instructor. Just because you don’t want to hear your instructor, doesn’t mean everyone in class is like you.

I’ve also witnessed firsthand the code of not holding a door open for the person behind you. Students walk in a building, let go of the door so that it either hits the person behind or it almost hits them. Doors don’t give; they hurt people. I have opened doors and held them, but instead of hearing “Thank you,” I get nothing – no eye contact, no smile, no nothing. How rude.

I was testing these manners with my husband at home. Id you know it only takes two seconds to say “Thank you?” Did you know it takes less than a minute to hold open a door? Did you know it takes less than two minutes gather your things up and walk out of the class after the instructor is done?

I realize I’m old enough to be your mother, but when I went to school, we used our manners. If rudeness was shown there was a long lecture to come or maybe a visit to the principal’s office. Manners are manners, no matter the generation. What harm would it do to show politeness? How much out of your busy schedule can it take to show manners and respect to your fellow classmates and instructors?

Start your day, every day, by showing respect to all you meet. Try saying “Thank You” a lot. At the end of the day you will feel better about yourself, I promise.

Susie Wilson

Joplin

Student thanks University staff, students for support

Reflecting on being a college student for the past nine years, I never thought I would attain a degree. Back in 1995, I was excited to start my path to higher education. From 1995-1997, I was a Missouri Southern State College student. From there I felt compelled to attend Ozark Christian College. After two and a half years, a semester off and loosing more than 30 credit hours in retransferring, I returned to Missouri Southern State University.

Since spring 2001, it has been a long struggle to find my niche. When my long desire for a program for Public Relations appeared, I jumped on the bandwagon. Along with other PR students, in 2003 the Southern chapter for the Public Relations Student Society of America was birthed. I have gained so much insight and passion for building and maintaining relationships with people. My passion burned brighter with my internship with Career Services and volunteering for the United Way. With God’s guidance, I definitely thank him for getting me to my current position. I would also like to personally thank current and former faculty, staff and students of Southern for believing in me and supporting me the past nine years. As of December 2004, I am the first member of my immediate family to receive a degree. It is very difficult as I type these words while the joyful tears roll down my face. Southern has become a special part of my life, which I will remember for a lifetime.

Robert E. Moss

Senior Mass Communications major